You are here
Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act Requests
Due to the COVID-19 situation, the GSA OIG is not receiving FOIA requests by standard mail. You may submit a FOIA request by email at OIGFOIA-PrivacyAct@gsaig.gov. Mailed FOIA requests will be processed after the GSA OIG returns to normal operations. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. § 552, permits any person to request access to federal agency records or information. Federal agencies are required to disclose records upon receipt of a written request, except for records that are protected from disclosure by nine exemptions or three exclusions in the Act. Records protected from disclosure by one of the nine exemptions must be identified in response to a FOIA request. The records protected by the nine exemptions are:
- Classified Matters of National Defense or Foreign Policy
- Internal Personnel Rules and Practices
- Information Specifically Exempted by Other Statutes
- Trade Secrets, Commercial or Financial Information
- Privileged interagency or Intra-agency Memoranda or Letters
- Personal Information Affecting an Individual’s Privacy
- Investigatory Records Compiled for Law Enforcement Purposes
- Regulation of Financial Institutions
- Geological and Geophysical Information Concerning Wells
Agencies will not acknowledge the existence of records protected from disclosure by one of the three exclusions. The records protected by the three exclusions are:
- Pending Criminal Law Enforcement Investigations if the Target is Unaware
- Confidential Informant Information
- Classified FBI Intelligence Information
For more information on the FOIA exemptions and exclusions, see 5 U.S.C. § 552(b) and(c) and 41 C.F.R. § 105-60.501.
To view GSA OIG FOIA logs for fiscal years 2011 through 2017, click here.
If you wish to make a request for General Services Administration (GSA) Office of Inspector General (OIG) information pursuant to the FOIA or the Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552a, it must be in writing. We cannot accept oral requests. Please send your request:
By mail to:
- OIG Freedom of Information Act Officer
- GSA Office of Inspector General
- 1800 F Street, NW, Room 5326 (JC)
- Washington, DC 20405;
By e-mail to:
By fax to:
- (202) 501-0414.
In order for the OIG to efficiently process your request, please include the following information in your request:
- Your name
- Describe the record(s) sought in sufficient detail that OIG staff will be able to locate responsive records with a reasonable amount of time and effort. For example:
- Approximate date you believe records were created or date for which records are being sought
- Title or name of document
- Author of document
- Recipient of document
- Subject matter of the record
- Indicate whether you are requesting expedited processing (For further information, see 41 C.F.R. § 105-60.402-2(c))
- Indicate your willingness to pay fees. For example, your willingness to pay all applicable fees, willingness to pay up to a specified amount for fees, or a request for a waiver or reduction of fees. (For further information on fees, see 41 C.F.R. § 105-60.305)
- Provide sufficient contact information so that OIG staff can contact you during normal business hours if clarification of your request is necessary. Include:
- Daytime telephone number
- Daytime e-mail address
- Full mailing address
Pursuant to the 1996 Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments, you may request to receive your response in an electronic format. We will attempt to provide you with the format you specify.
If you have questions about the status of your request, please feel free to contact us at (202) 501-1932 or OIGFOIA-PrivacyAct@gsaig.gov .