As members of the federal law enforcement community, special agents conduct professional interviews, undercover operations, surveillances, searches and seizures, computer forensic analyses, advanced audio and video monitoring, and a myriad of other law enforcement related actions.
Investigations may result from complaints received by the FraudNet Hotline, referrals from the Office of Audits, information provided to special agents by confidential informants and other sources, or proactive efforts.
Allegations we have investigated include bribery, kickbacks, extortion, public corruption, false claims, credit card fraud, theft, diversion of excess government property, counterfeit products, product substitution, false statements, and a variety of other fraud related crimes.
The Office of Investigations maintains regional offices and resident field investigation offices around the United States as follows:
- Region 1 - New England Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: Boston, MA States covered: Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island
- Region 2 - Northeast Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: New York, NY States covered: New York and New Jersey
- Region 3 -Mid-Atlantic Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: Philadelphia, PA States covered: Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia
- Region 4 - Southeast and Caribbean Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: Atlanta, GA Resident Investigations Office: Fort Lauderdale, FL States covered: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands
- Region 5 - Great Lakes Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: Chicago, IL States covered: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin
- Region 6 - Heartland Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: Kansas City, MO Resident Investigations Office: Denver, CO States covered: Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming
- Region 7 - Greater Southwest Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: Fort Worth, TX States covered: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas
- Region 9 - Pacific Rim Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: San Francisco, CA Resident Investigations Office: Laguna Niguel, CA and Sacramento, CA States covered: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, and Guam
- Region 10 - Northwest/Artic Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: Auburn, WA States covered: Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington
- Region W - National Capital Regional Investigations Office Headquarters: Washington, DC Area covered: District of Columbia Metro Area